Command Prompt is the most vital area for most of the power users and even a normal windows user once gets accustomed to the shortcuts and features it becomes very handy and powerful for them. There were few minor limitations in the command prompt in the earlier versions of windows which is now upgraded. Today we will look into those few windows 10 command prompt improvements that could make your life easier.
It’s been a long time awaited simple feature that was not available in existing windows operating systems like windows 7. Yes, you can now copy any command from outside and directly paste inside the command prompt or vice versa using CTRL + C or CTRL + INS and CTRL + V or SHIFT + INS shortcut keys. To select the text within the command prompt you can also press the CTRL + A shortcut key which will select the current cursor text.
You can also just select the text using left mouse button (click and drag to left) and then press ENTER key to copy the text. Now if you press the right mouse button it will paste the text.
In windows 10 if you want to get into mark mode then you can simply press CTRL + M and then use the mouse to select the text.
If you would like to just select the text in a specific area like highlighted above then use ALT key in conjunction with the selection.
You can use the below shortcut keys to select the text in command prompt:
- SHIFT + Left Arrow key – Used to select one character at a time to your left from the current cursor position.
- SHIFT + Right Arrow key – Used to select one character at a time to your right from the current cursor position.
- SHIFT + Up Arrow key – Used to select one line at a time upwards from the current cursor position.
- SHIFT + Down Arrow key – Used to select one line at a time downwards from the current cursor position.
- SHIFT + Page Up key – Used to select one page at a time upwards.
- SHIFT + Page Down key – Used to select one page at a time downwards.
- CTRL + SHIFT + Right Arrow key – Used to select one word at a time to the right from the current cursor position.
- CTRL + SHIFT + Left Arrow key – Used to select one word at a time to the left from the current cursor position.
Console Look and Feel
You can now press CTRL + SHIFT + Plus (+) key or CTRL + SHIFT + mouse scroll up to increase the command prompt window transparency.
To decrease the command prompt window transparency press CTRL + SHIFT + Minus (-) key or CTRL + SHIFT + mouse scroll down. This is what you should try to see the difference.
In earlier versions of Windows, you might have tried to resize the command prompt window and noticed that it only scales vertically but not proportionally, in windows 10 this is resolved. You can easily resize the window as you would prefer. You can also simply Press ALT + Enter key to go into full screen mode and use the same key to exit full screen mode too.
Yes, you read it right. You can now hit CTRL + F button to search your command prompt results just like you do it with any other text editor.
Over to You:
These are some of the windows 10 command prompts if you have something that is not covered here, feel free to share it with us. If you think this article helped you learn something, I would request you to share this and spread the knowledge.