Windows 10 by default automatically downloads and installs the updates which results in frequent system restarts. Let us quickly see how to prevent windows update from automatically restarting your machine.
- Open the run window and type gpedit.msc command
- The Local Group Policy editor will be launched.
- Expand Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates ->Windows Components
- Locate the Windows Update which will be all the way down, click on it. The settings that are relevant to it will be displayed in the right pane.
- Now in the right pane locate the setting -> Configure Automatic Updates and double click on it to edit the setting.
- The default setting would be Not Configured, change it to Enabled and in the Configure Automatic Updating drop-down select the Notify for download and notify for install option. Click OK to close the settings window.
That’s it, restart your machine once and if you now go to Settings -> Update and Security you should only see the updates that are available for download.